Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sellwood Park

Sellwood Park is a great park for everyone. It's on the Williamette River, has one of the city's great bike paths going through it, and has a playground for all ages. The kids and I met up with my midwife apprentice and her 3 beautiful kids. She has an older boy, so she brought me a bagful of hand-me-downs for my boys. Perfect timing because Halen is outgrowing all his shirts. He grew an inch last month!!! Halen was fascinated with Caleb's tree climbing abilities. He's 7, and was the self proclaimed "best tree climber here." No one would have dared dispute him. I love hanging out with older kids, it gives me a little glimpse of my future life. Here's a little sample of a mother/son debate.
Caleb, don't knock the flowers out of the tree.
Why not? There are thousands of them.
Because if every kid that came to the park knocked a couple of flowers off the tree, they'd be gone in a couple of days.
Not every kid can climb trees like me.
Just don't okay!

I'm not sure what I'll do when my kids get smarter than me. It's probably very fun and very frustrating.




Before moving to Portland, I thought these round-a-bouts were illegal. I used to love them as a kid, but with sue-happy Americans, most of them have been removed from playgrounds. Not here though, they're all over the place, older than me, and still being played on.
p.s. one more reason having a homebirth is better than a hospital birth. i don't even know the name of a single midwife from the 12 that were involved in my first pregnancy, and I'm certainly not hanging out with them (even if I still did live in Atlanta of course) and getting hand-me-down clothes.

No comments: