Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Is that my water...?

...or did I just piss myself again? My bladder is in serious turmoil these days. She'll be the happiest organ in there when this is all over with.
Monday, as I was walking around Target, I got a surge of wet that completely soaked my panties. I thought for sure my water had broke. So, I headed for the door and came home. I called Dan and nonchalantly told him that my water may have broken, but since I've never broken water before, I wasn't sure. We decided to just wait until my midwife appointment and see what she said, unless other symptoms starting progressing. He came home from work early to take me to my appointment, and we packed our hospital bags in the car, just in case. She did a full exam and several tests, but there no sign of amniotic fluid. My cervix was dialated a "real good 1 cm." The baby was +3 cm, which means she could feel his little head 3 cm. up from my cervical opening. She could feel him! He's really in there! I can be dilated like that for days before labor starts though, so don't get too excited. Anyway, she said that after the plug is gone and the cervix is dialating, there is just lots of discharge, some spurts wetter than others. So, that's probably what it was. I'm just wearing pads these days and waiting for that real water to break, if it does. Sometimes they have to break it for you. So, it's not always the first sign. At this point, I think I'm going into labor about every 5 minutes. I have lots of contractions, but they're all just the practice ones. My aunt gets here today, so I'll be more mentally ready. Maybe that's what we've been waiting for. After she gets here, I think I'll eat some spicy food while getting a foot massage. I think I'll do a 'natural labor inducing' google lookup right now and add a few more things to that list.
Oh, and in case you don't know. We can have visitors at the hospital. We'll be at Northside Women's Center, in the labor and delivery area. I'm not positive what the visiting hours are, but they're something like 8-8, so it's a broad time frame. I may or may not be seeing people directly after the birth. No matter what time it is, people are allowed into the actual birthing room after the baby comes, but only if we're ready. We'll only be in there a couple of hours after he's born, then we move to the regular rooms with regular hours. The first thing we'll do after the birth is try the whole breastfeeding thing. After that, we'll let people come in, if there's still time and I'm not too exhausted. It might be easier for people to get in at this point if they have chocolate with them. Just a thought. Also, we still love you if you're sick, but please don't visit us until you're all better. Our baby will be tough as nails of course, but we'd rather not take the risk.
Okay, this momma is gona try to go back to bed. Some nights I sleep great and others I lay there convinced that it's 200 degrees in the house and I can't understand why we're all not spontaneously combusting.

No comments: